We are pleased to announce a series of seminars on data analysis in geosciences. The duration will be approximately 30-45 min. and the tutor is Liubomyr Gavryliv, PhD. from the Department of Mineralogy, Petrology and Economic Geology, FNS CU. Liubomyr currently works as a MarieSkłodowska-Curie research fellow in the UK and develops a multidimensional relational data model for mineralogical data analysis.
The seminar will go into the fundamentals of data analysis and its practical implications in mineralogy and geology
with a few examples from the tutor’s experience. We will discuss the following topics:
(1) What is data analysis and is it important in mineralogy?
(2) Most popular programming languages and tools for data analysis: Python and R
(3) Data collection: principal methods and drawbacks
(4) Data cleaning and transformation
(5) Data warehouse: databases vs temporary data storages
(6) Important resources for making data analysis
A short discussion will take place about the general improvement of research quality by the employment of
data analysis techniques with key examples.
Faculty of Natural Sciences, Comenius University, Ilkovičova 6, Bratislava
Date and time: March 24, 2022 at 15:00